Sunday 14 October 2018

Day 4: Sunshine and showers

As I sat this morning reading about the devastation Storm Callum has made in Wales and the Midlands, with rivers bursting their banks, landslides and deaths, for the first time in several days the sun shone in Stirling. Moreover it was a comfortable 13C for much of the day and the visibility was excellent, the Trossachs bold and clear over the valley.

It made me think, this disparity of weather across the UK.  We are after all not a very big country.  The differences in the weather can no doubt be explained by the vagaries of geography, relative latitudes and the effects of the gulf stream.  If only it were so easy to explain the differences of fortune in the peoples of our Isles.

I am a mere four days into my £30 challenge, and still have plenty of that left along with various foodstuffs in the 'fridge, freezer and cupboards and yet as I poured the last of the coffee beans into the grinder today, and a little later the last of the Earl Grey tea into the caddy I found myself thinking about being without these middle-class treats later in the month.  And even as I type this I feel embarrassed to be concerned about coffee beans when there are those in Stirling district who have to worry about running out of basic foods.  It hardly seems possible in this day and age.  I hope this challenge will raise some dosh for Start up Stirling, but importantly I hope I'll learn a little about myself, and develop a sense of gratitude for the fair-weather in my life.

Today's cooking experiment was to use up some more of the veg I have had sitting around since my house-guest's visit and to make the most of the 'stretched' egg!  So today's lunch (and indeed supper) was a mushroom clafoutis - whole mushrooms set in a batter made with 4ozs flour, 1/2 pint of milk and what was left of that wickedly beaten egg left over from yesterday's fish cakes.  I seasoned it with fresh thyme, lots of black pepper and a goodly grating of nutmeg - which always brings out the flavour of mushrooms. Served with the tops of the sprouting broccoli (the stems are really woody.....) some peas and yet more spiced red cabbage (I am getting a bit bored with this), the clafoutis provided two good meals.  I also had enough batter left to make some pancakes for pudding (this being Sunday). So the stretched egg made four main dishes and a pudding.  My old Mum would be satisfied with that I think.

Tomorrow I shall be waiting in for the gas man to call. It seems I am to have a smart metre.  Perhaps this will prompt further economies - with the utilities as well as with food.  I believe we are to get more rain from tomorrow.  It may be some time before Scotland moves to water metres......

If you'd like to sponsor me for this challenge and support  'Start-Up Stirling' you can do so here!

No comments:

Post a Comment